Just like the infamous TV show "Cheers," the Community Supermarket stores are places where everyone knows your name and neighborhood small talk is part of every visit.
Founded in 1927 by Louis Rosenberg, these supermarkets are now operated by members of the second and third generations: brothers Jerry and Paul; along with Jerry's son Howard. George Thimons, an employee of the Rosenbergs for twenty-two years became a principal of the Community Supermarket stores in 2001.
Louis Rosenberg founded Community Supermarket on two principles: Provide excellent and friendly service to customers and make employees part of the extended Community Market family.
In 1927, Louis Rosenberg came to North Bessemer where he opened the original grocery and general merchandise store. During the tough times of depression and high unemployment, Louis Rosenberg would extend credit to almost every one of his customers who needed it; there were many families who would not have food on their tables if it weren't for Louis Rosenberg's policy of allowing people to buy on "tick." This was the beginning of the fierce loyalty that many of our customers continue to have for the Community Supermarket today.
From a one person operation to a four store food group, the Community Supermarket stores have progressed with the times while still maintaining our original service philosophy where shoppers can enjoy the availability of a large selection of goods with the atmosphere of a friendly neighborhood market.
The Original Community Supermarket
1117 Milltown Road
Opened in 1927
Lower Burrell Community Supermarket
3220 Leechburg Road
Opened in 2001
Natrona Heights Community Supermarket
1710 Pacific Avenue
Opened in 2002